How to Choose the Best Safe for Your Needs
Buying a safe is a smart thing to do. 24/7/365 access. No monthly fees. No worries as to whether the bank is open or not. The peace of mind that comes with knowing your guns and ammo, passports, insurance documents, wills, cash, jewelry, medicine and other items of value are safe, sound and fully accessible. It's a win-win for you, on all counts.
- Consider getting twice the size that you think you will need. You'll be surprised how quickly it fills with stuff.
- Stay away from big-box store safes (sporting goods or hardware store). Many are very cheaply made → easy to break into.
- Ask questions of FedLock; we are safe professionals and we love talking safes. It's also free to talk to us!
- Depending on the contents you plan to store, you will want a specific safe to protect what is inside. Probably not a swift idea to store $10,000 in a $150 box store safe.
- Change the combo yourself. It's so easy to do. You won't even need to call us.
- Safes sweat when protecting the contents from a fire so the interior will get damp. Keep papers in a Ziploc bag. Put stamp collections in something better than a Ziploc bag.
- Bet you didn't know this one: most safes have the hinges on the right side of the safe. Remember this when planning where to have your safe installed.
- Always bolt your safe down to deter theft. If a thief can remove the safe from your home or office, they have all the time in the world to gain entry. There's also the "tipping point". Taller safes can be tipped over by kids; a 100lb child could easily tip a 500lb safe by pulling on the door when opened. We have bolt-down kits so bolt it down!
We're here to help! Call 703-525-1436 to speak with a safe expert.